A Guide to Volunteering During the Holiday Season
I want to thank you for donating your time, items and energy; what you do makes a measurable impact for both ACTS and the community.
The holiday season is a wonderful time to give back; this is the season for giving and as the year ends we reflect on both the good and bad and how to do something outside ourselves. However, in general, ACTS is not open on federally observed holidays so volunteering is limited at those times.
So, what can you do to volunteer?
- Fill out our individual or group application. If you are interested in working with a specific program- like the Adopt A Day on holidays you must follow up with the scheduler directly and as far in advance as possible.
- After filling out an application, schedule yourself, your family and friends to work the days before and following the holidays at departments like the Thrift Store, Food Pantry and at events where ACTS is participating like the Dumfries Parade or the Stonebridge Tree Lighting.
What if I haven’t or don’t want to fill out an application?
This does not mean you can’t help.
- Donate! A little can go a long way and the funds can be allocated in a way that is needed and can serve many.
- You or your organization can create a drive for the commonly needed items listed below.
The food pantry has a need for:
- Canned beans-other than green
- Canned fruit
- Toiletry items
This is the list of items frequently needed by our shelters:
- Pool and Entertainment Passes for Summer Activities for children
- Gift cards to Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Papa Johns, Wawa (gas cards) or Triangle Fried Chicken to order dinner for the Adopt A Day Program
- Bus Tokens for PRTC or donations to add to our SmarTrip cards
- Gift cards to Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's, Visa, Mastercard, Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, Wal-Mart, Potomac Mills Mall. Or all stores in all amounts.
- Healthy food for school snacks
- Laundry detergent
- Pine-sol, Clorox wipes, and Lysol spray
- Paper towels, toilet paper, paper cups, paper plates, napkins
- Plastic Utensils- especially forks
- Hand sanitizer
- Luncheon Meats, chips, snack foods and drinks
- Large size umbrellas that will cover a stroller
- Kitchen staples- aluminum foil and sandwich bags
- Diapers- all sizes
- Baby Wipes
- Twin Sheets, Blankets, Towels
- Bath Soap
- Both men and women's razors
- Trash bags
Above are various ways to volunteer both on and around the holidays. Don’t be discouraged if you missed your chance to give back on Thanksgiving or Christmas; there are many ways to give back, all year long.
Happy Holidays from the ACTS family to yours!